Friday, January 10, 2014

The virtues of early flights

I'm at the airport, waiting to board my 7:00 am flight to San Diego for the gathering of the clan known as the National Needlework Association trade show.
SFO is a 90 minute drive from my house, so early morning flights mean getting up in the middle of the night and crossing the Golden Gate Bridge in the pre-dawn hours. Most people would choose to fly later in the day. That is exactly why I often choose this sort of itinerary.
At 6 am, the airport is calm. The lines are short, and the staff haven't yet had time to remember that they detest the flying public. I can easily find a quiet corner to sit with my coffee and my knitting, without feeling oppressed by the crowd and the noise.
Also, TSA pre-check rocks. I don't know how I got on their "low threat" list, but I'm grateful. No more undressing, no need to empty my bag before screening. It feels like a return to pre-September 11 travel. What a pleasure to begin a trip with minimal stress.
I'm so happy to be traveling to spend time with friends I see far too infrequently. Watch this space for a report on the trade show early next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment