Friday, January 13, 2012

Another new design, and The Knitter's Nightmare, Vol. 2

I want to show you another new design from Kollage Yarns Spring collection.
This is Christa.

Christa is an example of a design that was inspired by the properties of a particular yarn.  Kollage Yarns Milky Whey is a blend of 50% milk fiber and 50% soy.  It is soft and smooth and slinky, and feels wonderfully cool against the skin. Like many non-wool yarns, Milky Whey has little elasticity. As a result, it tends to grow. It will grow when you wash it, and it will grow when you wear it. This is just one of those characteristics that comes with the slinky in yarn. Ever knit with 100% silk? Same issue.
I wanted to make a non-shawl garment that would not suffer from the effects of gravity.  I wanted something where the drape and flow and slink of this yarn would be used to best advantage. Christa is the result.

This is a draped front vest. Made in one piece from the bottom up, it has a curved lower edge (I never know what to do with the long points at the front of most draped front sweaters). It is made with an interesting textured stitch that looks good from both the right and wrong side, so you don't have to fuss with arranging the drape.
The collar is integrated into the piece so the flow is not interrupted.
You can wear Christa open as shown or close it with a shawl pin or brooch. I think it would also be interesting worn belted.
For a pdf download, go to Patternfish. For a hard copy, order directly from Kollage.

Nightmare Vol. 2
The handspun sweater is finished. Buttons are attached and everything.  It is soft and warm and weightless. I've been wearing the sweater for the past 2 days and I love it. Except...

The sleeves are too long. No joke.

How much to long? This much.

How did this happen? I know how long my arms are. They have not gotten shorter. My row gauge is exactly what my notes say it should be. How is it possible that I have 2" too much sleeve?

I think surgery is needed. Stay tuned for detailed how-tos. Because my nightmare might as well be a "teachable moment" (lord how I hate that phrase), right?

No comments:

Post a Comment